Test your knowledge of HTML5 topics
The language of HTML is one that we likely interact with more than any other. Whether a user is aware of it or not, they are using it, living with its possibilities and confines, from the minute they start a browser until they shut down. Since we are all users, we are all living within that same world of options, possibilities, and confines.
HTML5 was a major improvement over HTML 4.01, but how well do you know the elements, syntax, and semantics? What follows is a self-test of 25 questions based on HTML5, but not centered around any one certification. The answers appear at the end of the questions.
In all cases, pick the best answer(s) to each question. Good luck!
Editor’s Note: When enclosing a command with the < and > symbols in HTML, there should not be an extra space at the beginning and end of the command or command string. We have to do it that way so that key question and answer text in this quiz doesn’t get commented out. #LifeHack
1. Which HTML5 attribute indicates whether an element is editable or not?
2. Which HTML5 attribute is used to specify what type of content can be dropped on an element?
3. Which of the following is NOT a self-closing element in that it requires a closing tag?
4. Which of the following Document Type Declarations is used for HTML5?
A. < !DOCTYPE html >
B. < !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC >
C. < !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 5//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/strict.dtd” >
D. < !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 5.0//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/html50.dtd” >
5. Which attribute should be included on every page of a web application that you want cached, listing the resources the browser should copy for offline access?
6. Which of the following elements must be present for a page to validate?
A. < html >
B. < body >
C. < head >
D. < title >
7. Which HTML attribute is NOT supported with the < meta > element in HTML5?
8. < meta > tags always go inside which element?
A. < head >
B. < body >
C. < page >
D. < title >
9. Which attribute specifies the relationship between the current document and a resource specified with the href attribute?
10. Which of the following elements can be used to group content, such as thematically, with a heading?
A. < group >
B. < section >
C. < show >
D. < info >
11. In HTML5, content tangentially related to main content can be separated from it using which of the following?
A. < aside >
B. < related >
C. < similar >
D. < digression >
12. Within the < iframe > element, which attribute enables a set of extra override restrictions?
13. The < legend > tag can be used to define a caption for < fieldset >. Which of the following is true regarding the align attribute for < legend > and HTML5?
A. The number of values have been expanded to include centering options
B. It is limited to four values (top, bottom, left, right)
C. It is no longer supported
D. It now requires a closing value
14. Which of the following is attributes of the < progress > tag can be used to specify the total amount of work a task requires?
15. Which of the following elements from XHTML is in HTML5?
Please visit GoCertify to attempt the remaining 10 questions of this quiz.