Jobs Hold Steady in America’s Staffing Firms

Posted on
Share on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on RedditTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Sales in the U.S. temporary and contract staffing industry reached an all-time high in 2007, according to economic survey data released today by the American Staffing Association. The association estimates that temporary and contract staffing sales reached $73.5 billion last year, a 1.6 percent increase over 2006 sales. Temporary and contract employment at U.S. staffing firms remained flat over the year, averaging 2.96 million workers per day in both 2006 and 2007.<br /> <br />&ldquo;Even with last year&rsquo;s growing uncertainty over the economy and increasing unemployment rate, America&rsquo;s staffing companies maintained a steady level of employment in 2007,&rdquo; says ASA President and CEO Richard Wahlquist. &ldquo;This is good news for anyone looking for work. America&rsquo;s businesses continue to turn to staffing companies for work force flexibility and access to talent.&rdquo;<br /> <br />The ASA Staffing Index, which measures temporary and contract employment on a weekly basis, was similarly flat during the same time period. The index, which is still in development, provides an earlier look at trends in the industry throughout the course of the year. <br /> <br />Based on data from ASA quarterly surveys, the association estimates that America&rsquo;s staffing companies employed a total of 11.4 million temporary and contract workers during 2007. Approximately 3.9 million of those employees secured permanent jobs. <br /> <br />Fourth quarter data show a 0.4 percent increase in staffing employment from the third quarter of 2007 and a 0.3 percent decrease from the fourth quarter of 2006. Temporary and contract staffing sales in the fourth quarter totaled $18.7 billion, up 0.7 percent from the fourth quarter of 2006.<br /> <br />To view historical data from the ASA quarterly survey (1992 to present) or weekly measures of staffing employment, visit americanstaffing.net. Click on Staffing Statistics, then Staffing Employment and Sales Survey or Staffing Index, respectively. <br />

Share on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on RedditTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
cmadmin

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Posted in News|

Comment:

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>