CCIA: Ensuring Successful Citrix Deployments
Nearly 50 million people in more than 120,000 organizations worldwide–including 100 percent of the Fortune 100–rely on the Citrix MetaFrame Access Suite to do their jobs. Citrix customers, resellers and integration partners turn to Citrix Education to help ensure the successful design, integration and administration of their access infrastructure solutions. Citrix Education offers a robust curriculum of professional courses and certifications covering the entire MetaFrame Access Suite of products. You can learn online or learn in person.
Citrix Education recently awarded the first Citrix Certified Integration Architect (CCIA) certification, the newest and most challenging Citrix certification ever. The development of the CCIA certification program began more than two years ago as the direct result of customer feedback. Although Citrix Education already offered the Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA) and Citrix Certified Enterprise Administrator (CCEA) certifications, customers were looking to ensure that systems integrators, architects and consultants had the necessary knowledge and skills to design and implement their access infrastructure solutions. Developed jointly with Citrix Consulting, the CCIA certification represents an accumulation of proven methodologies and Citrix best practices. As part of the CCIA requirements, candidates are required to pass a hands-on practicum lab exam administered and scored by Citrix. With the CCIA certification, customers can be confident that their Citrix deployments will be successful.
The Citrix Project Lifecycle
Citrix Education has the right certification, no matter what a person’s role is in the Citrix project life cycle. The Citrix project life cycle identifies the principal phases of an access infrastructure deployment: analysis, design, build/test, rollout and support.
Prior to the release of the CCIA certification program, Citrix offered two technical certifications: the Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA) and the Citrix Certified Enterprise Administrator (CCEA). The CCA certification is designed for skilled IT professionals who have demonstrated basic administrator-level expertise on Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server, with a general understanding of other products in the Citrix MetaFrame Access Suite. The CCA certification focuses on the administrative skills required for the build/test phase of the project life cycle. The CCEA certification is designed for skilled IT professionals who have deep expertise in the administration of the Citrix MetaFrame Access Suite. The CCEA certification focuses on the skills required for the build/test, rollout and support phases of the project life cycle.
The CCIA certification is designed for IT professionals who have deep expertise in the architecture of Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server environments. The CCIA certification focuses on best practices needed during the analysis, design and build/test phases of the project life cycle.
Citrix Education now offers a certification for every phase of the Citrix project life cycle. (See Figure 1.)
Figure 1: Citrix Project Life Cycle
CCIA certification candidates include systems integrators, architects and consultants with at least two years experience performing the following tasks:
- Installing and configuring MetaFrame XP Presentation Server, MetaFrame Secure Access Manager, Web Interface and Secure Gateway.
- Defining data stores.
- Publishing applications.
- Designing and integrating the Citrix MetaFrame Access Suite in an existing network infrastructure.
- Integrating Microsoft Active Directory services.
- Implementing security models.
- Conducting infrastructure assessments.
It is recommended that CCIA candidates use Citrix Professional Courseware to prepare for certification. Available courseware includes:
- CTX-6100 Citrix Core Technologies and Architecture: This course is designed for solution architects, developers, systems integrators and other IT professionals familiar with Citrix products. It provides students with an in-depth study of Citrix core technologies from an architectural perspective. Students are required to break down the elements of Citrix technologies, as well as isolate and describe related communications processes.
- CTX-6101AI Citrix MetaFrame XP Presentation Server: Design and Integration: This course segments the IT infrastructure and identifies various integration tools and methods based on MetaFrame XP Presentation Server requirements, best practices and real-world implementations. The objective of this course is to provide CCIA candidates with the expertise and knowledge necessary to design and implement MetaFrame XP Presentation Server solutions, while taking an overall IT architecture into consideration.
- CTX-6102AB Citrix Web Access: Design and Integration: This is a blended training course that includes instructor-led course CTX-6102AB Citrix Web Access: Design and Integration and e-learning course CTX-6104AW Citrix MetaFrame XP Presentation Server: Client Deployment. The course provides the detailed information necessary to design secure Web access solutions using both Citrix MetaFrame Secure Access Manager and the Web interface of Citrix MetaFrame XP Presentation Server. Learners are presented with the information needed to successfully design, test and integrate Citrix Web access solutions.
- CTX-6103AB Citrix Methodology: Successful Implementation of Citrix Solutions: This is a blended training course that includes instructor-led course CTX-6103AB Citrix Methodology: Successful Implementation of Citrix Solutions and e-learning course CTX-6105AW Citrix Methodology: Conducting Infrastructure Assessments. The course outlines the phases of the Citrix solution methodology, a multi-phase framework by which a successful MetaFrame Access Suite implementation can be conducted. Each project phase is presented with related milestones and deliverables.
Citrix Professional Courseware is offered through Citrix Authorized Learning Centers around the world. To find a Citrix Authorized Learning Center (CALC) near you, visit www.citrix.com/edu.
The Certification Process
Follow these steps to attain CCIA certification:
1. Pass each of the exams in Figure 2. The associated course or courses listed next to the exam are recommended to help you prepare for that exam.
Figure 2: Required Citrix Exams for CCIA Certification
2. Pass one of these Microsoft design exams: #70-219: Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure; #70-220: Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network; #70-221: Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure; #70-226: Designing Highly Available Web Solutions With Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Technologies; #70-297: Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure; #70-298: Designing Security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network.
3. Accept the CCIA certification agreement.
4. Pass the hands-on practicum lab exam administered by Citrix, #1Y0-612: Citrix Certified Integration Architect. Recommended training for this exam includes CTX-6100, CTX-6101AI, CTX-6102AB and CTX-6103AB.
Exam #1Y0-612 Citrix Certified Integration Architect Lab is the final requirement for the CCIA certification. The exam is a six-hour hands-on lab that assesses the practical application of knowledge acquired from the four core CCIA courses, as well as real-life experience. The exam is the first lab exam to be delivered by Citrix. Citrix