“Animal House” or “Revenge of the Nerds”?
In this special issue of CertMag, the editors will examine the increasingly close relationship between IT certification and technology curricula at colleges and universities. I encourage you to check out their comprehensive analysis of that topic. But first, I’d like to give you a little quiz to see whether you’re ready for the rigors of college. Ready … set … matriculate!
1. Chemistry: What are the ingredients of a traditional martini?
a. Vodka, apple schnapps, crushed ice.
b. Chilled gin, vermouth, two olives.
c. Why would I need to know that? Beer me!
2. Sociology: What is the best way to get a phone number from an attractive member of the opposite sex?
a. Introduce yourself in a friendly manner.
b. Stare from the other side of the room all night.
c. Approach and open by saying, “Baby, you must be a broom because you swept me off my feet.”
3. Physics: A water balloon and a soaking wet roll of toilet paper will fall from a dorm window:
a. At the same rate.
b. At different speeds because of air friction.
c. It depends on how hard you threw either one.
4. Finance: The term “positive accounting” refers to:
a. Keeping your expenses lower than your income.
b. Explanation of accounting practices based on observation.
c. Maintaining an upbeat outlook on life after maxing out two credit cards in a single semester.
5. Fine Arts: Match the following characters with the movie they appeared in, “Revenge of the Nerds” or “Animal House.”
c. Dean Ulich
- 15 or above: Toga, toga, toga!
- 10-14: You’re part party animal and part serious student — a good mix for college.
- 5-9: Well, you might be smart enough to get in.
- Below 5: Time to hit the books, kid!